4 min read
Guest blog by Lisa Weightman
How ‘regular’ life has changed for all of us these past three months. In our home we went from preparing for a third marathon (London) within 7 months to secure a fourth Olympic Games, to life in lockdown. We are fortunate to be an extremely close family and adjusted pretty well to home schooling, all working full time at home and missing our extended family but like all families around the world I’m sure, it’s been extremely surreal.
The hardest aspect of lockdown has not been the postponement of the Olympic Games, it hasn’t been missing London marathon or seeing our friends over there, it hasn’t been working from home as I am a seasoned campaigner at working in my home office and juggling an energetic little man. It’s been missing our parents and the impact that has had on our son Peter. Not seeing my Mum and Dad (Boop and Pa) every second day and not seeing Lachlan’s Mum and Dad (Ziggy and Pa) every second weekend on our country trips has been heartbreaking. Many a tear Peter has shed.
Lachlan and I thought Monday to Friday was extremely full on when training for a marathon. This new normal makes us appreciate our down time on the weekends even more than we ever did. Adults need to play too and Saturday and Sunday… these are our time to play! Here’s what we get up to during play time!
- We run together. Lachlan and I have been running together for over a decade in pursuit of personal best and the opportunity to wear the Green and Gold. We have a beautiful marriage and I attribute that to team work. We work together in parenting, running, working, resting, playing. We support each other and each other’s family as one complete unit and we never have to compromise. We get each other and support each other to achieve personal best. Doing fit and healthy things together has such a positive impact on a relationship. It’s essential!
- We play with Peter together. It’s really important to make time for each other and being trampoline owners this year has provided an awesome outdoor activity that brings the family together. Peter is obsessed with garbage trucks and any forms of transportation so we play recycling centres on the trampoline with his toy fleet, we watch movies on warm Summer nights and we set tgoma fitness challenges and cheer each other on. It’s a special time and we make the most of that family time.
- We recover together. On the mini trampoline we have introduced some light strength activities to compliment our current run program. We’d have been clocking some big kilometres in preparation for the Olympic Games, instead we have the opportunity to focus on a few strength and recovery activities we’ve never tried before. See the benefits of rebounding below.
- We have movie nights! Peter loves movie nights with his parents. The time will come when our little man is all grown up. I don’t want that to come around too quickly. We are enjoying the opportunity to have movie nights with Pete and we’d both choose that any day over date night! Friday nights are movie nights. We have taken this out onto the trampoline over Summer, however, as it’s getting cool we’ve had to move them back indoors. Peter gets the movie night tray of snacks ready and we cuddle up and watch one of his favourites.
I’m excited to be able to share some of my running experience with the competition winner this month and look forward to showing you a few strength and recovery exercises that can performed on the mini trampoline.
Just remember, home schooling isn’t easy on anyone, working from home has it’s benefits and it’s difficult times, missing those we love and missing out on doing our favourite things all bring about negative feelings. Release those feelings with a little rebounding, a little movie night, a jog around the block or some kids play time and we adults can feel better in an instant. Adults play too – and it’s awesome!
- Improved immunity with an efficient production of white blood cells.
- Stimulates the lymphatics system.
- Detoxifies the body.
- Energises the mind and body.
- Improves digestion.
- Increases weight loss.
- Strengthens bones.
- Makes you smile.